Monday, June 27, 2016

My First Date In Utah

Part 2 in my series of my weirdest dates and/or interactions with men....

My First Date in Utah....

*Just a heads up, this story is nowhere near as crazy as my last one, but still good/bad enough for a blog post.  Needless to say, it wasn't the best way to start my Utah dating experience.*

When I first moved to Salt Lake City, I had never had any experience with a mid-singles ward before.  Because I didn't know anyone, I wanted to jump into things as quickly as possible.  I did some research online and tried to figure out which ward I should be in (I was wrong by the way) and reached out to the Executive Secretary to set up an appointment with the Bishop.

While chatting over text, he asked if I would like to go out with him sometime.  I said yes and we set it up for that Saturday.  I texted him my address and he asked me for the whole address.  This was weird, because I gave him the whole address.  He asked me for more numbers and I had no idea what that meant.  Being from Colorado, I wasn't familiar with the grid system, so I had no idea what information he was trying to get.  He then asked me to walk out to the street sign and read him all the numbers.  Ummm, what?  My friend I was staying with lived on a street that didn't have the weird cross streets (like 200 S 451 E) instead it was a normal address (like 1234 Washington Lane).  Again he asked me for all the numbers.  I told him I didn't know what he meant.  He then asked me how to get there.  At this point I was getting super annoyed and I finally asked if he has GPS on his phone.  He said yes and I asked if he couldn't just get direction from there?  I guess that must have worked because he stopped asking for more information.

On Saturday he picked me up and when we got to the car, he opened my door for me.  I must have been a little too enthusiastic in my "thank you" because when he got in the car, he made some comment about how I must have never had a guy treat me well before (umm, not accurate at all.  I just like to show my appreciation when guys are gentlemen).

I asked what he had planned and he said we were going to a friends house to watch the "Holy War" (the Utah vs BYU football game).  When we finally got to house, he parked his car and asked if I would mind if he texted a few people for his calling.  I said sure, so he grabbed a giant binder from his back seat and proceeded to text and call people.

For 30 minutes.

And all I could do was sit there.

He finally finished and we went to the front door.  His friend answers and the only thing my date says is "do you have a computer I can use?".  He goes inside and heads to a desk in the living room and opens a laptop.  He doesn't introduce me, he doesn't even make sure I'm in the house.  So I walk in awkwardly and say hi to a group of 20 people by myself.  I'm a pretty outgoing person, but this was even weird for me.

By the time we got to the party, the game was half over.  So I sat, by myself, watching a game with people I didn't know, while my date sat on a laptop not talking to me or anyone else.

When the game was over, my date finally closes the laptop and says "Thanks for having us over" and walks out the front door.  Apparently we are leaving, so I look around and say nice to meet you and follow him out.  He is already in his car and waiting for me.

At this point I'm done and I just want to go home.  He asks if I want to grab dinner, but I say something about needing to get home.  I have no idea where we are, and he starts (what I feel like is just randomly) starts driving around.  It turns out we are in West Valley, and it doesn't seem to be the friendliest neighborhoods.  All of a sudden he makes a U turn and drives into what looks like an abandoned parking lot.  I honestly thought "Is this really how I'm going to die?  After a really bad date?  Thanks Utah".  I ask him where we are going and he replies something like "Why do you seem nervous?".  He drives around a few more deserted buildings, turns a corner and pulls into a gas station.  Guess I won't die after all...

Finally we are on the way home.  He drives back on different freeways than we came in and I am totally lost.  I know only 1 exit to get to my house, and he passes it.  I say "I think that was the exit?".  He gets quiet and then says "You seem like a very open minded person".

Oh yea, this can only lead to good things.

"And you seem like the person that if someone had some criticism for you, you would take it to heart".

All I can muster at this point is "ummm, ok"

"You should never, ever criticize a mans driving."

No for real, that's his advice for me.

I reply "I wasn't criticizing, I just wasn't sure if you knew you missed the exit".

"You should never criticize a mans driving".

Yep, I'm done.  I'm sure I said something passively back, but at this point I just wanted to get home.

Finally he pulls into my driveway.  He makes a big deal about coming around to open my car door (because apparently he's an amazing gentleman) and walks me to the door.  He gives me a hug and tells me what a great time he has had and would love to get together again.

Needless to say, there wasn't a second date.  Thankfully, my other Utah dates got a lot better.....

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post by you, you had explained how was your first date in Utah.

    ReplyDelete